eHealth Africa (eHA) is a data-driven, solutions-oriented innovator dedicated to improving people’s access to high-quality health systems in Africa. Our highly collaborative approach convenes public health professionals across sectors to tackle Africa’s greatest health challenges. Using data and informatics to inform solutions, eHA addresses difficult health needs with knowledge, passion and integrity.
We leverage our staff and department expertise across five major domain areas:
- Emergency Preparedness & Response
- Disease Surveillance & Lab Systems
- Health Delivery Systems
- Nutrition & Food Security
- Supply Chain Strengthening
We use data to build strong health systems and create a future where Africa’s health systems are equipped to meet the needs of the communities they serve and respond effectively to unexpected public health situations.
eHA has grown quickly in the past four years, and we seek a senior-level manager to own and advise key functional areas including s finance, grants and contracts, human resources, and operations. Qualified candidates will have a passion for start-up environments, deep curiosity about process and product, and a desire to roll up their sleeves and help get the work done. Familiarity with global health delivery is essential, and experience in West Africa is a plus. Some of the keys to success in this role are: flexibility, inventiveness, and the ability to thrive in a rapidly changing environment.
The Director of Finance & Administration is a key member of the eHA global management team, with responsibility for eHA’s Finance, Grants and Contracts, Human Resources, and Operations Departments. He/She will work closely with the Co-Executive Directors, management team, and country staff to ensure eHA maintains practical and efficient systems that enable the organization to fulfill its mission to improve health systems. The position will report to the Co-Executive Directors, and will directly supervise the department leads for: Finance, Grants & Contracts, Human Resources, and Operations.
Responsibilities and Duties
Leadership and Overall Management
- Provide leadership, guidance, and oversight to the Finance, Grants & Contracts, Human Resources, and Operations Departments.
- Maintain departmental structures, personnel, and operating standards and practices that are responsive and adaptable to evolving business needs.
- Provide leadership presence for all staff, including bridging cross-country office issues as well as supporting an open-door policy amongst all staff.
- Lead development and implementation of:
- Annual plans and budgets
- Policies and procedures
- Risk management strategies
- Liaise with partners and donors upon request, including providing timely and accurate responses to inquiries.
- Oversee the adequacy and implementation/migration of all ERP systems as they relate to the functional areas of responsibility
Directly supervising and working closely with the Associate Director for Finance, provide oversight, leadership, guidance, and ultimate accountability for key finance functions, including:
- Budgeting, accounting, reporting, cash management, accounts receivable, accounts payable, and investments.
- Preparation of financial statements and reports for use by eHA leadership and Board of Directors
- Participating in strategic and management decisions.
- Prudent and strategic management of eHA resources, including identifying potential cost savings and revenue opportunities.
- Development and implementation of operating and capital budgets.
- Continuous improvement and implementation of finance policies and procedures, as well as establishing appropriate internal controls.
- Departmental and monthly approval and processing of revenue and expenditures, cash flow and capital purchases.
- Compliance with all relevant laws and regulations, including accounting standards (IFRS and/or GAAP) and government funding requirements.
- Ensure completion of independent annual audit and other periodic audits.
- Ensure timely and accurate tax compliance of all entities.
Grants and Contracts
Directly supervising and working closely with the Deputy Director for Grants and Contracts and country office leadership, provide oversight, leadership, guidance, and ultimate accountability for key grants and contracts functions, including:
- All administrative processes, systems, and policies to effectively and efficiently manage eHA grants and contracts.
- Compliance with applicable laws and regulations, as well as funding agreement terms and conditions.
- Grants and Contracts performance:
- Resolution of related administrative problems
- Proactive identification of tools and strategies to improve performance.
- Development and training for programmatic staff on grants and contract management.
Directly supervising and working closely with the Deputy Director for Human Resources, provide oversight, leadership, guidance, and ultimate accountability for key human resources functions, including:
- Recruitment and onboarding to ensure attraction and retention of highly skilled, committed and motivated workforce.
- Design and administration of compensation and benefits plans including salary scales, medical, disability, and term life insurance, and retirement.
- Implementation of a performance management process, ensuring it is linked to career development and succession planning.
- Design and implementation of employee wellness programs to enhance morale and retention.
- Design and implementation of Human Resources policies and procedures, ensuring labor law and record keeping compliance.
- Payroll process, time tracking and benefits administration.
Directly supervising and working closely with the Deputy Director for Operations, provide oversight, leadership, guidance, and ultimate accountability for key operations functions, including:
- Improvement and implementation of procurement systems for inventory, supplies and capital projects.
- Risk identification and management systems for eHA personnel and physical property.
- Facilities and fleet management.
Qualifications and Skills
- Minimum of a Bachelor’s Degree and an MBA or related advanced degree, from an accredited institution.
- Minimum of 7 years experience in a senior-level management position of a multi-site nonprofit organization with offices on multiple continents, with global health experience preferred.
- Financial background required, with demonstrated knowledge across finance, grants and contracts, human resources, and operations.
- Minimum of 5 years with demonstrated experience in USG grants and contracts administration. Experience with large foundations and government sources of funding preferred.
- Fluent in written and spoken English, with knowledge of French, Krio, Hausa preferred.
- Outstanding proficiency in Microsoft Word and Excel, including demonstrated proficiency with advanced formulas and formatting in Excel.
- Experience using online administrative and collaboration software (ERP, ATS, HRIS, etc…).
- Ability to set clear priorities, delegate, and guide investment in people and systems required.
- Keen analytic, organization, problem solving and decision-making skills.
- Outstanding presentation and communication skills.
- Exceptional people skills associated with being a pragmatic and creative leader, including political and diplomatic awareness within an organization.
- Team-oriented, data-driven and intellectually curious.
- Willingness to be flexible in a changing work environment while maintaining effectiveness and efficiency.
- Establishing and maintaining relationships internally and with various organizations and utilizing those relationships to help achieve eHA’s Mission via negotiation or consensus.
- Motivating employees via leadership and optimism.